Being promoted to the position of 'Grandparents'!

2011 - will be an AWESOME year for the Nelson/Lynn family. Our beautiful daughter and son-in-law are blessing us with our first grandchild - a boy. Christopher Aiden Lynn is due to arrive June 30 (the same date his Mama was due! How cool is that?)

Friday, November 23, 2007

"Grand" Dreams

I don't remember what this one was...probably a Yamaha. It was at the concert hall where my soon to be son-in-law's Senior Recital was held. He's a horn player, but this...yes this...was what accompanied him. (If only my livingroom were big enough!)



Baldwin is actually my brand of choice. I do have plans...not one quite this big, but big enough, at least a 6 footer! The photos in the mosaic contain pictures of pianos at a music store owners expo my brother attended a year or so ago. He took them because he knew I'd enjoy them. He was able to find me not only some Baldwins, but a really nice 9 foot concert Mason & Hamlin. I played one of those at my last piano recital. It was a very big deal! They did have a Steinway available, but it had been regulated and adjusted for this guy that played there a lot. It was a bit too hard to play for we younger, and less experienced, prodogies. If I remember correctly, I played a Tchaikovsky piano concerto. I have a photograph of me sitting at it some where. I'll have to find it and scan it in so I can publish it one day. I was in High School at that time.


I currently play a 40+ year old Yamaha 7'8" instrument at my church. I have been playing church music for 30 something years - the past 13 at the church I currently attend, where I grew up, and the years prior to that at the various churches where my husband served as Music Minister. I dabble at the organ as well, but am not quite as proficient with that instrument, but can fill the bench in a pinch.

It's my heartbeat. It's that thing I do that I love.

7 comments:

Lissa said...

Love to hear you play. Are you going to hold a personal concert when your "plans" happen? I'd come!

Andree said...

I'm glad you wrote this post. I learned more about you. But none of our church organists looked as good as you! Or had such a hot dress! Or skied for that matter! I grew up with a 6'2" 1900 Mason & Hamlin (spelling?) but I still prefer Steinway. Like I'll ever get one!

Debbie365 said...

Thanks for the kind words! A Mason & Hamlin? Wow, how cool is that? I think the one that I learned to play on was a Werlein spinet piano. I think a 6'2" grand would be a nice size to have!

Sharon said...

and you do it SOOOO well :)

Isadora said...

Unfortunately, I've never mastered piano - but that does not mean I would not love to have one that sized in my living room. It does lend an air to its surrounding. Then again, you can always invite the right people to come over for coffee and just ask if they would like to try it :)

duopastorale said...

Oooh, so inspiring! I love Steinways myself. I remember playing the prized one at the Royal College of Music where I studied. It was like driving a Rolls Royce. I definitely don't have room for a grand so I'll have to wait for heaven. I'm sure there's one waiting for me there! By the way, you're welcome to fill in on the organ at my place any time! lol

My Blogs
Quick Snap 365
This I Do...

Alan said...

Yep, the piano in the photo is a Yamaha grand, top of the line. It was donated when the new music buildin was completed. :)